Spring of Life Wellness Center
Refreshing Spring Church of God in Christ
Project/Program Dates: 2002 - 2006
The Spring of Life Wellness Center (SOLWC) is a nonprofit community health organization founded in 1995 under the auspices of the Refreshing Spring Church of God in Christ. The Center was created to expand the health promotion and disease prevention programs that were previously offered by the church's health ministry. By offering the following services, SOLWC fills a critical need for Prince George's County residents who lack health insurance or who are underinsured:
- Prevention, early diagnosis, and primary care for diabetes, high blood pressure, and other common chronic diseases
- HIV/AIDS testing and education
- Breast health education, counseling, and mammogram referrals
- And more...
In 2002, the National Library of Medicine (NLM) initiated a partnership with SOLWC to provide medically underserved citizens access to up-to-date, accurate health information from NLM and other trustworthy Internet sources. Through this partnership, NLM:
- Provided computers and high-speed Internet connections for the Information Center
- Trained the SOLWC staff and volunteers on finding and using online health information resources
- Participated in the Center's annual health fair exhibits
To help SOLWC clients make the most of the medical and health information services, clinicians give patients "Health Information Precriptions" in addition to other medical care. Patients, families, caregivers, and friends can take the information precriptions to the Health Information Center where volunteers help them find reliable, consumer-friendly online information about specific diseases and medical conditions. The Center also offers classes on preventing and managing medical conditions that disproportionately affect the community.